Thursday, January 28, 2016

Should you, really?

Think about when you say "I should" (either aloud or to yourself) and what it means to you.

"Shoulds" often come with obligation, duty, guilt, comparison.

If you tell yourself, "I should lose weight" then who are you doing it for?  
How compelling has it been in the past to lose weight 'because you should'?
How much do you feel like exercising when you tell yourself "I have to go to the gym"?
Wants are cravings and desires; they pull you towards them and are associated with positive action or reward when you do/get them.

Try changing your language, and see how your perspective changes when your brain hears something in a different way: Instead of "should", try saying 'like' or 'want'.

"I like going for a walk and stretching my legs" or "Doing exercise makes me feel energetic"

"I want to eat a healthy meal (lower fat, more vegetables, etc) that will keep me satisfied" or "I will feel good about choosing a healthier option for dinner"

"It feels productive to keep my food log/fill in my workbook. I know it's an activity I will give myself credit for"

This week, try changing some "shoulds" to "wants" and notice how differently you react.

Feel free to leave comments here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments with us here